The next chapter in our life together

Post Halifax

Sleeping in after a late night watching the hockey game, we found some coffee, fully charged the car and were off toward Cape Breton Island.

As we headed for Cape Breton Island, we saw signs for the Fundy Discovery Site to watch the tidal bore.  We couldn’t resist and stopped in.  The bore tide would arrive in about an hour, so we decided to use their wifi to work on the blog while we waited.  We got so engrossed in what we were doing that we missed the very front of the wave, but it was still amazing to see how quickly the water was moving upriver on the Salmon River.

We then paused for a bite at the Farmer’s Daughter (thanks, Michael for the recommendation) and then found the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground complete with car chargers for the night.

After breakfast at camp, we were off to explore the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck.  It was so fascinating we spent hours there looking at all the exhibits.  So much of the museum spoke to his character and his concern for helping others.  In addition to being an inventor, he taught the deaf to speak following a method created by his father.  One of his students, Mabel Hubbard, later became his wife.  I was struck by his feminist streak – starting with the wedding gift to his wife of 90% of his stock in the Bell Telephone Company.  Essentially he gave her financial independence at a time when women were still largely considered property or at least wards of their husbands.  They became equal partners in many activities and she financed some of the experimental organizations he was involved with as well as having many activities of her own.  His invention of the telephone had given them the wealth they lived on for the rest of their lives and allowed them to do many things for the betterment of humankind.

Back on the road, we were taken in by the lobster dinner sign at St. Ann’s.  We knew we would treat ourselves once on the trip.  We were taken back to the tanks to chose our own victim/dinner.  Even though it is lobster season here and they are caught right outside the restaurant, the market price is still hefty enough that we split this lobster.  And we found every possible morsel inside this shell.  It was delicious!

Hurrying on we made it to Cape Breton Highlands National Park shortly before closing time and had to hustle to get to the campground before they closed.  A heavy downpour overnight made us very happy to have stayed in the car that night.

Up early, we headed to the historic Keltic Lodge which is the home of the famous Highland Links golf course.  Another one designed by Stanley Thompson.  We decided to have the breakfast buffet in the restaurant there where we watched the lobster fishermen at work outside the window and then took our first hike in the park on Middle Head Trail.  The trail is in the process of renovation, so easier to hike than it may have been in the past.  A number of beautiful overlooks and then the culmination at the end jutting out into the Atlantic.  The large rock island at the end of the point (inaccessible to humans from land) was full of seagulls including babies that we had to look closely to see since they blend in with the color of the rock.  So fuzzy and cute!

Though rain was predicted, we decided to take our chances and headed to Meat Cove – the furthest point north in Nova Scotia accessible by road.  Even though there were some low clouds, it was still a stunning view of the rocks and sea.  We took a hike to the high point above the campground for an even better view – very worth taking the time. One curious plant growing everywhere with large leaves and a 

And we still got back to Highland Links in time for Paul to get in a round of golf at half price of the twilight rate – at that price no one could say no to the opportunity to play this course.

– Mindy


  1. Stork

    Wonderful! Love the spontaneous “schedule.”

    • cpadmin

      as Mindy says “work the plan”,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *